Typically the majority of the jobs on a given big-league roster that are ‘open’ have a heavy favorite, and there are few ‘open’ job with which to begin. The Seattle Mariners’ roster is just about solved, but there are a few questions yet to be answered, including the following:
- Will the club carry a first-base platoon?
as I have noted many times, it’s not a great idea, but if the club does carry one, there are several candidates in camp.
- Who will win the first-base platoon gig?
The candidates are: Jesus Montero, Dae Ho Lee, Stefen Romero and Ed Lucas. Romero brings the versatility of having played second base, third base and the outfield in the minors.
- Who will serve as the utility infielder?
Luis Sardinas and Shawn O’Malley are the two top candidates, with Chris Taylor also in the mix to some level.
- Who will win the No. 5 spot in the rotation?
It appears the battle is between right-hander Nate Karns and lefty James Paxton. Both have options remaining, but the loser also could start the year in the bullpen.
- Below is the way-too-early-to-tell edition, but I’ll update this in two weeks, then again the day before the rosters are typically announced.
|Projected M’s 25-Man Roster: Way-Too-Early Edition|
|SP||Hisashi Iwakuma ||R/R |
|RP||Vidal Nuno ||L/L|
|RP||Tony Zych ||R/R|
|RP||Steve Cishek ||R/R|
|1B||Adam Lind ||L/L|
|SS||Ketel Marte ||S/R|
|OF||Nori Aoki ||L/R|
|OF||Seth Smith ||L/L|
|1B/DH||Jesus Montero ||R/R|
Jason A. Churchill
Latest posts by Jason A. Churchill (see all)
- Best Move By Every Team in the American League In the AL, it's wants not-wants, #amirite? - March 16, 2019
- PODCAST: UCSB Baseball Associate Head Coach Donegal Fergus The coach talks baseball recruiting, star OF Tommy Jew & more. - March 11, 2019
- Best Move by Every Team in the National League The offseason is essentially over. - March 8, 2019
- Projecting The Opening Day Roster 1.0 The Mariners are less than three weeks from opening the season in Tokyo. - March 3, 2019