Typically the majority of the jobs on a given big-league roster that are ‘open’ have a heavy favorite, and there are few ‘open’ job with which to begin. The Seattle Mariners’ roster is just about solved, but there are a few questions yet to be answered, including the following:
- Will the club carry a first-base platoon?
as I have noted many times, it’s not a great idea, but if the club does carry one, there are several candidates in camp.
- Who will win the first-base platoon gig?
The candidates are: Jesus Montero, Dae Ho Lee, Stefen Romero and Ed Lucas. Romero brings the versatility of having played second base, third base and the outfield in the minors.
- Who will serve as the utility infielder?
Luis Sardinas and Shawn O’Malley are the two top candidates, with Chris Taylor also in the mix to some level.
- Who will win the No. 5 spot in the rotation?
It appears the battle is between right-hander Nate Karns and lefty James Paxton. Both have options remaining, but the loser also could start the year in the bullpen.
- Below is the way-too-early-to-tell edition, but I’ll update this in two weeks, then again the day before the rosters are typically announced.
|Projected M’s 25-Man Roster: Way-Too-Early Edition|
Jason A. Churchill
Latest posts by Jason A. Churchill (see all)
- More Trade Ideas for the Seattle Mariners - June 18, 2017
- Potential Mariners Targets Include Oregon LHP David Peterson, Prep Power Hitter Jo Adell - June 10, 2017
- Mariners Farm Report: May - June 3, 2017
- Checking Hisashi Iwakuma - May 7, 2017